This is an old family favorite that's got it all in a wedge: taco meat filling, seasoned black beans, avocado and lots of melted cheese! It's a bit of a weeknight show stopper but easy enough to throw together in a hurry. I found that when I needed to bring a casserole to someone, it was a great option since it's different from the typical lasagna everyone else makes.
1 pound ground beef 5 tortillas large (10 inch) or 10 small (7 inch), flour or corn 2 (15 oz.) cans tomato sauce 1 (15oz.) can black beans 1 ripe avocado Juice of one lime, about 2 tablespoons *Taco seasoning mix, store bought or make your own 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
*To make your own taco seasoning mix combine 2 tablespoons chili powder, 2 tablespoons ground cumin, 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt, 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder and 3/4 teaspoon black pepper.
Pour tomato sauce in pan and add 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning.
Stir the seasoning into the tomato sauce and place over medium heat until it simmers.
Turn the heat down to low, stir occasionally and let it simmer while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
Drain and rinse the beans. Put the beans in a bowl and mash them with a fork. Stir in 2 teaspoons lime juice and 2 teaspoons taco seasoning.
Peel and scoop the avocado in a bowl. Add 2 teaspoons lime juice and 2 teaspoons taco seasoning and mash together.
Brown hamburger over medium heat, drain grease. Stir in 2 cups of the tomato sauce into the cooked hamburger.
Assemble the Tortilla Pie
(If using small tortillas, cut filling amounts in half & make two pies)
1. Smear 1/4 cup around the bottom of the pie pan. Place a tortilla on top of sauce. Spoon 1/2 the meat mixture on top.
2. Put a second tortilla on top and spread black bean mixture on top. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup shredded cheese.
3. Cover with a third tortilla and ladle on the rest of the meat sauce.
4. Place the fourth tortilla on top and spread the avocado mixture over the surface.
Top with 1/4 cup shredded cheese.
5. Put the 5th tortilla on top and pour remaining reserved tomato sauce mixture on top.
Bake for 30 minutes.
6. Put remaining shredded cheese on top of stack, return to oven and bake 5 or so minutes more until the cheese on top has melted.